Welcome to my blog. I’m Elaine Jackson, author of ‘The Journey & Other Short Stories’ and my first (as yet unpublished) full-length novel, ‘The Methuselah Paradox’, and here’s where I’ll be nattering on about anything and everything that interests me (and which I hope might interest you, too).
What interests me? In no particular order:
- Good story-telling (I love to talk about writing almost as much as I love doing it, so be prepared for a lot of that here and on my main website, www.elainejjackson.com )
- science-fiction in all its forms:I founded ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, the official ‘Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy’ Appreciation Society in 1980, love ‘Star Trek’ in all its forms (I was around for the original) and ‘Doctor Who’ (Jon Pertwee was ‘my’ Doctor), X-Files, ‘Blade Runner’, ‘UFO’, ‘Battlestar Galactica’ (the re-boot) … science fiction asks those questions we might not have answers to yet, and its technology so often precedes the fact (at the most simple level, ‘Star Trek’s ‘communicators are today’s mobile phones – I’m with ‘Bones’ McCoy on the wisdom of matter transference via the ‘Transporter’ though)
- Crime/police procedural dramas and books – both my full-length science-fiction novels (‘The Methuselah Paradox’ and ‘Who Killed Maggie Wren?’) feature DI Ian Hammond, who gets to investigate all the weird stuff no-one else wants…
- Genealogy – I spent ten years researching my family tree, and now my archaeology graduate son has opened my eyes to the wonder of DNA mapping. Do you know what a ‘Haplogroup‘ is? Nor did I until quite recently… You’ll find my novels reflect this interest too – what (and who) make us who we are?
- Music – a world without music would be unbearable!
- Film (kind of covered in the second paragraph)
- Theatre – is it a co-incidence that both my novels feature an actor as one of the main characters? Nope! The business of make-believe – and the talented, complex and sometimes troubled people who bring us our entertainment – has always interested me. If a DVD doesn’t have a ‘Making Of…’ extra, just watch me frown…
- Lots of other subjects I haven’t thought of yet…
Please feel free to comment or ask questions, either below or by email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some background to my next novel, ‘All Our Tomorrows‘ now (after considerable revision!)’The Methuselah Paradox’
- ‘All Our Tomorrows’: In development
- The Sounds of My Childhood
- Publication Day!
- What’s Your Writing Style?
- My Spoilery Review of ‘Prey’ (don’t read if you haven’t seen Chris Lunt’s tense drama starring John Simm yet)
- My not-so-spoilery review of ‘The Village’ series 2
- My website blog
- The Power of 9 – BBC America’s ‘Intruders’ promises to raise the hairs on the back of your neck… (in development)